Please don't be shy- sign up to be a follower or leave a comment from time to time. Love to know who is reading!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

31 for 21, Day 18: two poems

Soon after Evan was born, I found two poems that hold great meaning to me.  The first one I fell in love with was shared on Babycenter.com by another mama who passed along the name of an artist who had made a custom piece of art for her daughter's room.  I just had to have one for Evan, too!  I gave her the theme of Evan's room and she made this BEAUTIFUL hand painted picture.  The poem is known as "The Down Syndrome Creed".



After I had this made, I found another poem that I love even MORE.  It couldn't express my feelings any better had I written it myself- especially the line about praying for a child who sleeps all night!  God knows how many nights I slipped that into my prayers while pregnant with Evan after coping with his big brother who didn't START sleeping through the night until after his first birthday.... and then didn't consistently sleep through the night until he turned three.  Yes, three years old!  Whew.... Yes, God knew EXACTLY what he was doing when he gave us Evan, the sweet child who began sleeping through the night (and I'm talkin' 9:00 PM through 7:00 AM!!) at just 10 weeks. :)

Unfortunately, I don't know the author to extend my thanks for this poem.  I did have it printed in the front of Evan's photo book I had made since I NEEDED to include it somewhere special.

When you were but a tiny speck
Deep within my womb
Something happened to your cells
As life began to bloom.

A chromosomal anomaly
Is what the doctors say
But you are EXACTLY what I asked for
Each night as I would pray,

"Dear Lord, send me a happy child
Who will not grow up too fast,"
For I love the joys of childhood
And I wanted that to last.

"Send me a child who sleeps all night
And doesn't often cry,
A little boy with endless love
And a willingness to try."

That little extra chromosome
That number 21
Gave me all I ever wanted
YOU- my precious son.


1 comment:

  1. Those are some great poems. I love them already. And I just love that little smile!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts- let me know I'm not just talking to myself! ;)

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews