Please don't be shy- sign up to be a follower or leave a comment from time to time. Love to know who is reading!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Lina's first field trip!

Happy Down Syndrome Awareness Month!! :)) October is the month we take time to acknowledge our lil designer gene sporting friends and shout out to the world that Down syndrome is not this big scary diagnosis, but rather a HUGE blessing! :)  I am doubting I will be able to participate in the 31 for 21 blog campaign this year, blogging every day of October- especially since I already missed yesterday!  But I will do my best to share tidbits here and there for the cause. ;)

Before I get into my phone dump of Lina's field trip, I wanted to share a big update on Lina's growth!  She had a follow up appointment with the endocrinologist yesterday since she had to begin thyroid medication.  One little fact about children with DS- they have a higher chance of having thyroid issues and need their blood checked regularly to be sure all is in check.  So far Evan's levels have been fine- he gets his blood checked annually now.  Lina's were a little off at her first check when we brought her home, so she began a low dose of medication.  Her first appointment with the endocrinologist was June 1st where she weighed 36 lbs and measured 40.9" tall.  Yesterday, exactly 4 months later, she weighed in at 39.5 lbs and get this.... 42.9 inches!! She has grown 2 whole inches in 4 months!!  The doctor had commented as soon as she walked in the room and saw Lina that she had grown a lot, but she still had to check her math to be sure it was correct- and it was!  Someone is definitely playing catch up! :)  I know she's been growing as she is growing out of many of her clothes, and her feet have grown at least a half size also.  As far as treatment for her hypothyroidism, she has been responding well to the medication so far, so we will follow up again in 6 months.

On to the field trip!  Lina's preschool class took a trip to a little children's museum up in Gettysburg, PA called Explore & More- super cute place for the preschool/kindergarten crowd!! Kids had a blast.


The first little experiment Lina did was drop colored water into a pan of milk.  After adding color, she took a toothpick with dish liquid on the end and tipped it into the color to watch it spread! Fun stuff!



In this room there were also marbles to play with...


Big tubs to mix colored water...


We soon opted for the little rain coat as Lina was having a LOT of fun with this activity!  She particularly enjoyed playing with the faucets at the bottom to release the water back into the buckets.


The next super fun activity in this room- standing inside a giant bubble!


A couple kids were able to blow a bubble out of the giant bubble- Lina came close but couldn't quite get it.  Hard stuff!



There was a puppet stage with a ton of puppets just around the corner- Lina played with those for a few minutes...


... and then we headed around the corner to the "General Store"- it was like a little old-fashioned housekeeping area.  Super cute stuff!



Lina of course would have been happy there all day, but I coerced her to come upstairs to find more fun things to do. 


This was like a giant Lite-Brite- big chunky pegs to put into the holes. 

Lina of course found the art room ;)

.... as well as a little office/construction site room.  She was determined to climb up this ladder, but she has a major fear of heights.


She wouldn't let me help her, but she couldn't quite get up there- not because of her lack of ability; just due to her fear.  She tried many many many times, and I finally just hoisted her up there.


She had a lot of fun pulling this little rope to raise and lower the tray of building parts.


I was quite impressed with her as I told her it was time to leave.... I was anticipating resistence and flopping to the floor in protest, but instead Lina listened very well and walked nicely with me all the way around the block to where we were parked. :)  Super fun day!

1 comment:

Please share your thoughts- let me know I'm not just talking to myself! ;)

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews