As Thanksgiving approaches, most of us stop to think about all the things in life we are thankful for.... family, good health, the roof over our heads, the food we have to eat. I could go on and on with quite the extensive list, and I count my blessings daily, or I should say nightly, as I pray to God each night while settling in to bed. Since having Evan, I find myself thanking God for more and more things- the abundance of smiles; the unique personalities portrayed by each of my three children; the strength I find to keep up with these three; good, caring therapists and physicians; and extra chromosomes.
Am I thankful that Evan has Down syndrome?
I am thankful Evan is EXACTLY who he is. Moms of kids wearing designer genes often ponder what it would be like if their child didn't have that extra pesky, perky chromosome; and if they had the power to wish it away, would they?
Sure, I think about it from time to time- he wouldn't have his sweet almond shaped eyes, the flat bridge of his nose which is my most favorite place to kiss him 100 times daily, his adorable little ears that sit below his beautiful red hair, his adorably short little fingers- his little stubby thumbs are just so cute! I couldn't picture him without any of those features characteristic of a child with Down syndrome, characteristic of my perfect little boy.
I think about Evan's spunky personality- how he is so full of energy and excitement. All I have to do is smile at him and I am rewarded with a huge smile in return. He also knows exactly what he wants and will persevere until he reaches it- especially if he knows he's not supposed to have it. ;)
I think about how easy-going and laid back he is. Being the third child, he is often tossed into the car seat to keep up with the big kids' activities and of course all of Mommy's errands in between. Today, he got two of his shots at the doctor's office, and this is the first time I've ever had a child NOT cry while being stuck! In fact, when the nurse administered the first shot, he smiled at her! He almost cried with the second, but with snuggles and reassurance from Mommy, he managed another smile as well. Not a fuss to be heard, unlike the poor shrieking toddler a few rooms down the hall.
I would love to take away any hardships Evan may have in the future, dealing with a biased and discriminating world often cruel to those with disabilities. But if taking that extra chromosome away would remove any part of who my precious Evan is, FORGET IT. I thank God for bringing Evan to us every single night, just as I thank Him for Kaylin and Justin. I thank Him for Kaylin's witty comments and ability to make anyone feel welcome. I thank Him for Justin's sense of humor and what often seems like a photographic memory. I thank Him for my loving, supportive husband who works hard to provide us with all we have and who is a wonderful father to our children. I thank Him for Evan, who has given me the ability to celebrate all the little things in life we take for granted... who brightens the day of everyone who has the pleasure of coming into contact with him, whether it be a waitress in a restaurant (he found himself being ogled by at least three of them today at lunch), patients in the waiting room of a doctor's office, or a customer waiting behind us in the check out line. I thank God for the extended family I've found through the Down syndrome community. I thank God for the hustle and bustle which keeps me on my toes yet sometimes knocks me on my butt. I thank God for a full night's sleep. I truly am blessed and try my best not to take any of these for granted.
Please don't be shy- sign up to be a follower or leave a comment from time to time. Love to know who is reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I had this letter saved in my drafts from three years ago and for some reason never published it. I read through it and wanted to share. x...
-
Going to share my speech here I gave in church today- my many thanks to everyone there for bearing with me, for I had a LOT to say!! I was ...
-
This morning it was announced that Putin signed the adoption ban which goes into force on January 1, 2013. While I was greatly saddened by ...
-
Dear friends and family, Go grab a Coke or a cup of coffee and sit down. We have some good news we want to share with you! Are you si...
-
Everyone has been in a frenzy since Putin signed the ban on US adoptions last week, wondering how we will ever reach the sweet children w...


Posted by
All 3 of your kiddos are sooooo cute!! I can tell by the words you typed about Evan....just how much you LOVE him!! I had tears in my eyes. I think Evan is so cute, I want to come & kiss those lil cheeks!!!
ReplyDelete