Please don't be shy- sign up to be a follower or leave a comment from time to time. Love to know who is reading!

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Happy Gotcha Day, Lina!!

I know I've been mentioning milestones here and there marking how many months Lina has been home.... a year from our first visit, a year from our court date.... I think partly because I am still in denial that it has actually been a WHOLE YEAR!! Time sure flies when you're having fun!

A year ago today....


Lina was bundled up as tight as could be to brace the 50-60 degree weather ;) and finally to be FREE....  No longer destined to a life sentence in a mental institution where she was deemed unable to contribute to society.

Eating at the hotel restaurant in Moscow- YUM!

I barely recognize this skinny, rashy little girl.... This next photo was taken when I first took her out of her orphanage clothes to find her skinny little body covered in a horrible itchy rash.  Her hands and feet had awful thick fungus on them as well.  We had no idea her skin was in such poor condition.


At her first check up upon coming home she weighed 33 lbs- unfortunately I cannot remember her height.  I do remember how easy it was to pick her up and carry her around everywhere.


She looks so small here!!  Those brown shoes were about falling off her feet since they were a size too big (Mommy's estimate failed) and they are now a size too small.  Her stats in June were 36 lbs and 41" tall, so in just 2 1/2 months she had gained 3 pounds!  Last week she was back for a check up and weighed in at 44 lbs and measured 45" tall!  Eleven pounds and at least 5 inches in a year.  I can feel it too- there is no way I can carry her around like that anymore!  She was wearing size 4T clothes when she first came home- bottoms being very baggy on her thin figure.  Now she is outgrowing her size 5T clothes and wearing size 6 tops, and those adjustable waist pants don't need to be cinched up nearly as much.  

Yes, I was bitter we didn't have the storybook Gotcha Day experience, changing her into new clothes at the orphanage, saying goodbye and getting photos with her caregivers and director, and capturing a photo of Lina walking out of that building forever.  No, we didn't get any of that, but we gained our precious daughter who has grown leaps and bounds in every way possible.  

2 weeks home
Just witnessing her grow and bloom has been amazing in and of itself.  

2 months home

This child is no longer just existing... surviving....  She is now thriving and celebrated!

Lina's baptism 9.9.12

Lina's first birthday party following her baptism

A child who was deemed ineducable quickly learned two languages, English and ASL.... and has learned so much at school in just a few short months.  The girl is amazing.   


Yes, Lina, you were indeed perfectly made and purposefully chosen.  We love you SO much and look forward to watching you continue to grow and bloom!  We are SO blessed to have you in our lives.  So many times I hear the words, "She is so lucky to have you" when we know in fact that WE are the lucky ones to have YOU.


4 comments:

  1. I can't believe it been a year! She's so beautiful and how lucky you are to have her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 1 year home Lina!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading stories like this about how families find each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story for all of you!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts- let me know I'm not just talking to myself! ;)

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews