Please don't be shy- sign up to be a follower or leave a comment from time to time. Love to know who is reading!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Happy World Down Syndrome Day!! :))

March 21st is nationally known as World Down Syndrome Day, celebrated on this day in particular since those with Down syndrome carry three copies of the 21st chromosome, hence 3/21. :)  I got all technical and book smart last World Down Syndrome Day and blogged about all the technicalities of DS as well as how times have changed- you can find that post HERE.

I was hoping to have something profound to say today, but honestly I'm still coming down from the rush of our court trip in Lina's country- by the way, she is OURS!! :)) I have started blogging all the details of that adventure on our adoption blog.  I'll be writing more today after I finish this post. ;) So anywho... I'm just gonna write from my heart instead of trying to think too hard...

Down syndrome.... the first time those words were uttered shortly after Evan's birth I thought my world was crumbling down around me.  I had visions of old stereotypes going through my head, thinking life was over as I knew it.  Well you know what?  I was kind of right.... in a sense, my old life was over as I knew it.  Little did I know what a pure joy and complete blessing Evan would be to our family.

Little did I know I would be absolutely head over heels in love with this boy.... completely smitten.


 Little did I know I would be showing him off to the world every chance I could get.  Little did I know how many people would stop and comment how adorable and smart he is.


Little did I know he would be more like his siblings than he would be different.  He is funny, charming, ornery, mischievous, adorable, loving, and smart.  Just like them.


Little did I know I would savor this slower pace, that I get to hold on to my baby a little longer.


Little did I know his future is just as bright as his older brother and sister's.  College programs are opening up for people with disabilities and the doors are open wide to a world full of possibilities.

Little did I know that we would be so incredibly happy with life and happy with Evan that we would pursue expanding our family yet again, bringing another child into our home who wears designer genes.


We are SO incredibly blessed, and that extra little chromosome sure plays a big part in all our blessings.

I'm sporting my DS awareness shirt today:


Evan is wearing an equally appropriate shirt:


Yep, just like big brother for sure.  

He did wear his awesome designer genes shirt yesterday- I chose yesterday instead of today since we were going to storytime at the library, and I just can't resist bragging when I get the opportunity. ;)  Here's a pic of him wearing the shirt the day of our Buddy Walk this past October- I didn't get a pic of him wearing it yesterday. *Rockin' This Extra Chromosome* Oh yea, baby.


Happy World Down Syndrome Day, everyone!  Life is awesome and I couldn't be happier.  Go hug someone with DS today!!


4 comments:

  1. Love our boys! What a plan God had for us from our Barbie playin' days in Parkville! Who knew? I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love this! Next year for WDSD, you get to talk about Lina and Evan causing trouble TOGETHER.... So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this Amy! And that shirt Evan is wearing in the last picture is so awesome!!! Happy World Down syndrome Day :)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts- let me know I'm not just talking to myself! ;)

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews