Please don't be shy- sign up to be a follower or leave a comment from time to time. Love to know who is reading!
Monday, March 21, 2011
3/21- World Down Syndrome Day- and a lesson or three for ya ;)
March 21st marks World Down Syndrome Day- 3/21 to acknowledge the 3 copies of the 21st chromosome carried by those with DS. The 21st is the smallest of the 23 chromosomes.
World Down Syndrome Day is about raising awareness and acknowledging the achievements of those wearing designer genes. It blows me away how far society has come, yet it sometimes feels like we still have a ways to go as far as acceptance is concerned. What amazes me are how many college programs there are available for those with intellectual disabilities- this is AWESOME! People with DS are living on campus, learning how to be independent and successful in the work force. ThinkCollege.net is an amazing resource providing a wealth of information for those with intellectual disabilities who wish to attend college. The future is SO bright!
In the 1960's, institutionalization was considered the best option for babies born with DS here in the US, and many parents blindly followed their doctor's recommendation. I can't imagine the heartache those parents must have felt, letting go of their sweet baby. Sadly in Eastern Europe today, babies are oftentimes taken from the parents regardless of their wishes, and sent away to orphanages- transferred to institutions once they reach 4-6 years old.
In 1964, two scientists named Dr. Stedman and Dr. Eichorn studied the negative impact the institution had on children with DS. They found that the lack of care and stimulation lowered cognitive ability more so than the DS itself. This breakthrough slowly convinced medical professionals that children with DS have emotional needs just as anyone else, and their potential is higher than many would believe. As doctors began treating babies and children with DS as they would treat others with only 46 chromosomes, the life expectancy increased dramatically. Even as late as 1980, the average life expectancy for an individual with DS was a mere 25 years old. A huge part of this revolves around the fact that about half of all babies born with DS have congenital heart defects. Another increased health issue in DS is an intestinal blockage at birth. Without life saving surgery, many didn't live past their first birthday. Also add in those sent to institutions where health care and quality of life were far less than stellar. Today the average life expectancy for a person with DS is about 50-55, and I'm sure we will see this number continue to rise as our children are receiving proper care from the very beginning. In 2008, the Guinness record holder for the oldest person with DS was awarded to Bert Holbrook who was holding strong at age 80. :) He was raised at home instead of being sent to an institution back in 1929, when the average life expectancy was 9 years old.
In 1972 the federal government passed the first legislation guaranteeing a free and appropriate education to ALL students with or without disabilities. This is known as IDEA- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. Later, teachers would be learning about mainstreaming and inclusion. As children were being placed with their "typical" peers, graduation rates rose consistently. Amazing, eh? :)
Even though our education and medical fields have expanded immensely, people's attitudes don't always follow along. People still drop the "R" word; kids are still picked on for being different. This is what scares me most regarding Evan's future. I have faith he will blossom into an independent and successful young man, but I won't be able to protect him from the ignorance of others along the way. I only hope my words here haven't bored you all to tears ;) and will hopefully change the attitudes of some regarding the treatment of people with disabilities.
Don't forget to pause the music player at the bottom of the page before viewing this beautiful montage :) Hey, did you enter my Giveaway yet? Who wouldn't want $35 of free money!! Go enter now! If you are signed up as a follower of my blog you get to enter twice!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I had this letter saved in my drafts from three years ago and for some reason never published it. I read through it and wanted to share. x...
-
Going to share my speech here I gave in church today- my many thanks to everyone there for bearing with me, for I had a LOT to say!! I was ...
-
This morning it was announced that Putin signed the adoption ban which goes into force on January 1, 2013. While I was greatly saddened by ...
-
Dear friends and family, Go grab a Coke or a cup of coffee and sit down. We have some good news we want to share with you! Are you si...
-
Everyone has been in a frenzy since Putin signed the ban on US adoptions last week, wondering how we will ever reach the sweet children w...


Posted by
Amy- I just started following-- I love the educational approach-- so informative and well-written!!
ReplyDeletei agree, well written and informative. thanks!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! I was hoping it didn't come across as too boring, but I enjoyed searching for the information. :)
ReplyDelete