So we are still getting through the appointment madness... I feel like I'm treading water, just barely keeping my head afloat.... thinking to myself if I can just get through tomorrow I'll be fine. Yesterday was Evan's well visit with our most wonderful pediatrician- love him to death! Unfortunately, I left feeling a bit worried, but inside I keep reminding myself that I'm sure everything is OK.
The good news first- dropping a specialist. Evan has been seeing a gastroenterologist since the wee early months in regards to his reflux. He's been seeing this doc every three months to follow up, and all has been just fine in that department. We are confident in Evan's pediatrician to take over his medicine dosage, especially now that we are starting to wean him down a bit- going from two doses a day to just one. So far so good! Just when I thought I had one less doctor to worry about....
In my last post I mentioned Evan's weight dipping down some on the growth curve at his 15 month appointment- it took a pretty substantial dip yesterday, too. In fact, he actually lost a few ounces since his last well visit 3 months ago. His height is still consistently above the 90th percentile on the growth chart, so his percentage of body fat is really dropping. Time to revisit the whole skim milk thing- perhaps he really did need more fat after all. Evan is such a little ball of energy- I know he burns so many calories in a day, since I feel like I do just keeping up with him! (wish my scale agreed...) ;) So our doc recommended putting him on whole milk for the next three months and see how he does. I was absolutely in agreement.
Should be easy enough to fatten him up a little with the milk, but my next concern- head circumference. Evan's little head has been dipping down on the growth curve also- his 15 month measurement was exactly the same as his 12 month measurement, and his 18 month measurement was only slightly bigger- dropping him down lower on the percentage scale. Kids with DS have a smaller head circumference to begin with, but it is a little concerning when even on the DS chart he is dipping down instead of following the curve. Our ped. recommended we see a neurologist to get their opinion and make sure nothing is wrong. I asked if we could go to the Down syndrome clinic at Kennedy Krieger Institute and he was happy with that idea. Our appointment is set for June 7th. One thing I've noticed- when we go for Evan's well visits- oftentimes our pediatrician had to re-measure Evan's head after the nurse took the first measurement- since the first measurement was often wrong. The doc didn't re-measure yesterday (I didn't even think to ask as I was thrown off by the weight loss), so I'm curious how his head will measure at the DS clinic. I know when we visited the nutritionist- her measurement was always bigger also. I think the flatter shape of Evan's head makes it more difficult to measure, so we'll see how this all plays out. Praying we get some reassurance from the clinic in a few weeks.
I have vented my concerns to my awesome DS mama friends at Babycenter, and they have been most reassuring also. It's just so difficult not to worry when you are referred to a neurologist. Sure I can fatten my baby up by changing his diet, but what on earth can I do to help his little head? Is his brain development ok? His therapists have all been pleased with his progress, so I am doing my best not to let the worry wart inside of me show it's face.
Friday, Evan goes for his blood draw- lots of tests to be run to rule out any food allergies just as precaution before starting some new foods like eggs, and checking his thyroid levels again due to the weight issues. Praying all results come back fine.
To top it all off, the cat decides to get sick again, so I had her to the vet yesterday also- trying a new prescription diet as opposed to the one she's already been on.... hoping this works. Gotta take her back next week. Just when you think you're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel... sheesh!
So please keep Evan and his little noggin in your thoughts... thanks! :)
Please don't be shy- sign up to be a follower or leave a comment from time to time. Love to know who is reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I had this letter saved in my drafts from three years ago and for some reason never published it. I read through it and wanted to share. x...
-
Going to share my speech here I gave in church today- my many thanks to everyone there for bearing with me, for I had a LOT to say!! I was ...
-
This morning it was announced that Putin signed the adoption ban which goes into force on January 1, 2013. While I was greatly saddened by ...
-
Dear friends and family, Go grab a Coke or a cup of coffee and sit down. We have some good news we want to share with you! Are you si...
-
Everyone has been in a frenzy since Putin signed the ban on US adoptions last week, wondering how we will ever reach the sweet children w...
Posted by
you are so busy and then to worry on top of it. that is the evil of all the appointments :( I pray you hear that he's just not in a growth spurt.
ReplyDeleteThat all sounds a little overwhleming. Praying for you that everything checks out ok.
ReplyDelete