Please don't be shy- sign up to be a follower or leave a comment from time to time. Love to know who is reading!

Friday, March 4, 2011

Favorite Thing #4- Baby K'Tan Baby Carrier



The Baby K'Tan carrier was developed by two couples who each had a child with special needs.  I had used a Bjorn carrier with my older two, but was advised not to with Evan due to his low muscle tone.  With the Bjorn, the baby's legs are spread apart, causing them to "splay" and it is recommended to avoid this position as much as possible for babies with low muscle tone.  Instead, babies should be carried in a sling type carrier, keeping their legs together.

Having never owned a sling before, I was a bit apprehensive- I've read how complicated they can be to put on and get sized correctly depending upon how big baby is.  The Baby K'Tan takes all that away- you simply buy the size you would normally wear for clothing (it does tend to run slightly large- I was wearing size L tops when Evan was first born and I was comfortable in a size M carrier).  There is nothing to adjust- simply follow the easy to read instructions depending upon which of the 7 positions you wish to carry baby.  I was able to carry Evan in the adventure and hug positions for quick walks to and from the bus stop since I could adjust how wide the fabric was between his legs.  But for outings, I usually used the explore or kangaroo position, and it was easy for him to doze off all comfy cozy.  I never used the hip positions due to the leg splaying issues.  They even claim you can carry twins together with this!

If the material becomes looser than you like, simply run it through the wash and it will tighten the fabric again.  There are many colors/fabrics to choose from.  I received many compliments while wearing Evan in this carrier since it looked so comfy for him.  It has been quality and safety tested to hold babies from 8 lbs all the way up to a 35 lb toddler.

1 comment:

  1. It was nice to "see" you on Verity's blog, Amy! I came to visit you here, and just had to add a big ditto to this post! The Baby K'Tan is one of the most useful items we have for Verity! Love it! We actually got two--the first for a great price on Amazon, and the second is the pink one with brown stitching that the Baby K'Tan was listing for a reduced price. It's so nice to have the second one when the first is being laundered/reshrunk. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts- let me know I'm not just talking to myself! ;)

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews