After going through the process of replacing a car seat, I found the strong urge to shout my praises from the rooftops of the wonderful experience I've had, as well as share other products I highly recommend. I have to admit, I am always restraining myself whenever I hear about someone's new baby on the way- I absolutely LOVE baby registries and find myself wanting to share all my recommendations. Instead of bombarding people, I figured I'd compile a list and let people take from it what they want.
The product that prompted this post- The First Years True Fit Convertible Car Seat
I am extremely picky when it comes to purchasing car seats. First, I scour all the reviews I can find- namely the safety ratings. This seat has been given the highest rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. There are deep side wings and it has been side impact tested.
Next, I look at the height and weight limitations. I want to be sure my child will stay in this seat for a long time, especially in the safety of a 5-point harness. Previous seats I've purchased maxed out at 40 lbs. for the maximum weight with the 5-point harness. Be careful since many seats will advertise they accommodate a child up to 70 lbs. etc. but that is when it is converted to a belt positioning booster. The 5-point harness must be removed before then. This seat will accommodate a child up to 65 lbs. and 50 inches tall in the 5-point harness (it does not convert into a booster). I also wanted a seat that will keep Evan rear facing as long as possible- this seat can remain rear-facing up to 35 lbs.
Third component- ease of use. The newly designed latch installation is a breeze to not only install but un-install. In the event of having to remove a car seat, it is often a struggle to try to loosen the extremely tight belt so you can remove the latch hooks. These hooks have a simple to use release button which are also easy to reach once the seat is installed. No fumbling around, digging between seat cushions to try to reach the clip.
The belts are also extremely easy to adjust, and can be adjusted WITHOUT having to uninstall the seat. No taking the belts out to be re-threaded- there are simple releases on the sides to slide the belts higher or lower depending upon how tall your child is and if your child is rear or forward facing. It is also very easy to adjust the incline and there are several to choose from. I did find that while installed for rear-facing, when baby is sitting in the seat it is a little difficult to tighten. Loosening is a cinch, but some strength is involved to tighten the belts. I'm not sure if this is true for forward-facing also as I have not used it for forward facing yet. However, compared to other seats I've used- it is much easier getting him in and out and I rarely have to tighten or loosen the belts anyway.
Fourth component- ability and ease of washing the cover. The entire cover can be removed without uninstalling also! I wish it was machine washable, but honestly, I don't remove the cover to be washed unless there was a spill or accident. Instructions say to hand wash in mild detergent.
Fifth component- price. I have to say, so many people recommend Britax seats, but I can not bring myself to spend the $300+ on a car seat. This seat has the stellar safety ratings as well as some extra features not found on Britax seats, and is less than half the cost. As I'm writing this post, the color posted above is available at Amazon for $129.00 (other colors are priced slightly higher). It is also available at Walmart.com for the same price. When I first purchased this seat I bought it from Walmart since I could easily return it to the store if for some reason I didn't like it.
The icing on the cake for me- FREE REPLACEMENT if you are in an accident. I'm not sure how many other companies do this, as I had never been in an accident before with a car seat in the car. But, please make note- if you are in ANY type of accident at ANY speed- the car seat MUST be replaced no matter what brand. The plastics and foam inside the seat are weakened as they have done their job to protect baby. I was just rear-ended two days ago at a very low speed- only scratches left on the bumper, and I called the company to verify that I did indeed need to replace the seat. The customer service rep. confirmed that yes this was true. She asked me several questions pertaining to the accident as well as placement of the seat and if baby was in the seat during the accident, and then proceeded to tell me they would be sending me a replacement! I was instructed to call back with the confirmation number given to me when I receive the new seat, and they will give me further instructions to place the old seat in the box from the new one. UPS will come pick up the old one so they can evaluate it for damage etc. I thought this was a fabulous policy!
Overall, I absolutely LOVE this seat and give it 5 out of 5 stars. I hope this review is helpful! I have added a tab at the top titled, "My Favorite Things" where I put a link to this post and will be adding more recommendations.
Please don't be shy- sign up to be a follower or leave a comment from time to time. Love to know who is reading!
Sunday, January 16, 2011
My Favorite Things- product review #1- The First Years True Fit Convertible Car Seat
Labels:
product reviews
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I had this letter saved in my drafts from three years ago and for some reason never published it. I read through it and wanted to share. x...
-
Going to share my speech here I gave in church today- my many thanks to everyone there for bearing with me, for I had a LOT to say!! I was ...
-
This morning it was announced that Putin signed the adoption ban which goes into force on January 1, 2013. While I was greatly saddened by ...
-
Dear friends and family, Go grab a Coke or a cup of coffee and sit down. We have some good news we want to share with you! Are you si...
-
Everyone has been in a frenzy since Putin signed the ban on US adoptions last week, wondering how we will ever reach the sweet children w...

Posted by
Thanks for your review - we are in the process of researching convertible carseats for our little one with Ds. I love all the pros that you listed.
ReplyDelete