Please don't be shy- sign up to be a follower or leave a comment from time to time. Love to know who is reading!

Monday, January 3, 2011

Back to life, back to reality

So, this morning was the first we've actually had to turn on the alarm clocks since Dec. 23rd.  First day for the kids to go back to school after the holiday break.  I have always hated alarm clocks.  Prior to becoming a parent, I thrived on sleeping late.  I had always been someone who required at least 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep.  I seriously worried how I would handle the lack of sleep when Kaylin was born, and was absolutely amazed at how well I adjusted instantly.  While 20 years ago I would shudder at the thought of waking before 8:00 AM, I don't think I could sleep that late if I tried anymore.

Our kids take after Mike in the waking department.  We have alarm clocks in both Kaylin and Justin's rooms, but for entirely different purposes.  For Justin, 100% of the time his clock serves the purpose of telling him when he's ALLOWED to get out of bed- no earlier than 6:00 AM.  He must WAIT for the 6 before he can get up for the day.  And let me tell you, 95% of the time that boy is out of his room at exactly 6:00, so I often wonder what time he really wakes up and how long does he wait to come out of his room?  His alarm has never been set to wake him up.  I think I have had to wake him ONCE for school.  Ever.

Kaylin did receive an alarm clock for waking purposes since she started sleeping later at the start of Kindergarten, but she has also been known to wake early and must follow the 6:00 rule like Justin.  She is a GRUMP if someone dares to wake her, and she requested to use an alarm clock instead of me going in to wake her for school.  That alarm clock was my saving grace.  She makes no complaints if her alarm goes off- she gets up immediately, turns it off, and out the door she goes.  These days she rarely sleeps until 6:45, the time her alarm is set to sound.  She is usually up around 6:15, shortly after Justin.

Evan is my little sleepyhead.  At least one of the three takes after their mama in this department!  Unless woken by a noisy brother or sister, I usually have to wake Evan on school days at 7:30 so we can get to the bus stop on time.  If he wakes on his own beforehand, it's usually around 7:15, but on weekends I sometimes have to wake him at 8:00 just to keep his daily routine with meals and naps.

I set my alarm merely as a back-up since we already have two little walking alarm clocks who refuse to go downstairs without company.  Just a couple times a year they may both actually sleep past 7:00- it is VERY rare, but it happens.  Of course it's never when I can actually enjoy it!  Either Evan is already making noise (which is also rare before 7:00 but if it happens, it's usually when the others are still sleeping, go figure), or it's the cat.

Now take note- EVERY day from December 23rd through yesterday, January 2nd- at least one of them was up at 6:00 sharp.  No alarms, no schedules to keep, total freedom.  6:00.  Every.  Day.

This morning I was sleeping so soundly when all of a sudden my alarm goes off.  The instant it starts sounding, Mike shoots up and scares the crap outta me, more so than the sudden alarm.  I had visions of the Looney Tunes cartoon when the two mice play tricks on Claude the cat while he's sleeping; he shoots up into the air, clinging to the ceiling for dear life with his claws.  That was Mike's reaction to my alarm.  My heart is pounding as I am stumbling for the snooze button to shut the alarm up.  It takes a few seconds since I haven't used it in so long- my fingers are out of practice!  None of the kids have made a single peep and it's now 6:30.  Go figure- I would have been able to sleep until perhaps 7:00 dare I imagine, but no, the alarm clock had to ruin that opportunity.  I brush my teeth, gather clothes to put on after my shower- still no kids.  Go figure.  Kaylin wakes to the sound of her alarm at 6:45 and Justin shortly after.  Go figure.

We had a bit of a rough start to the day- kids didn't want to be rushed to get dressed in time for the bus, Evan cried going to the bus stop- I think because I misjudged the temperature outside and didn't put a warm enough coat on him.  The sun shines on the front of our house, so when you step out the front door, it's very misleading.  We've had a few warmer days over the weekend and today the temps dipped down a bit.  A few steps down the sidewalk proved this to be true.  The bus would arrive very soon since we were a little later getting out the door, so I left the kids with the other parents at the corner and walked Evan back home- poor thing still crying the whole way.  :(  After we got home and Evan got his morning bottle, the rest fell into place.  He even took two great naps today- taking advantage of the quiet house he has missed the last week and a half.  Kaylin and Justin admitted they had a good day at school as well.  Hopefully, tomorrow morning will go a little more smoothly!

3 comments:

  1. Amy,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog. Made me laugh, smile and cry all at the same time! Love the way you write and the descriptions of your children! Thanks for sharing!

    Angie Steele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading as well as leaving a comment! So glad you enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Testing one two three... I love reading ur blog.

    I'm still having trouble posting, so I'm Kat posting as anonymous...

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts- let me know I'm not just talking to myself! ;)

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews