Please don't be shy- sign up to be a follower or leave a comment from time to time. Love to know who is reading!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

It's now a known fact: people with Down syndrome make the world a better place

I could go on and on, and I know I have on occasion.... about how awesome life is with our Evan.  You've seen it right here I'm sure.  Now there are statistics in black and white supporting my case!

Parents, Siblings, and People With Down Syndrome Report Positive Experiences

In light of all the new prenatal testing becoming available to detect Down syndrome inutero much earlier in pregnancy, we need to be sure those mamas-to-be have accurate information regarding the precious little bundle growing inside them.  It is a fact that 90% of babies diagnosed with Down syndrome prenatally are aborted.  When you increase the number of prenatal diagnoses, make the diagnoses much earlier in pregnancy as opposed to ~20 weeks during an amnio, I fear what will happen with the abortion rates even though they scare me enough as it is.

These moms are scared.  I was scared when I first received word of Evan's diagnosis just moments after he was born.  However, #1- I could never go through an abortion had I received a prenatal diagnosis.  #2- I had my precious baby right there in front of me to fall madly in love with.  #3- I had wonderful physicians caring for me and my baby- I was not receiving false information like so many women receive from their OB's and geneticists once given a prenatal diagnosis.

I wish the article above would be given out to all the moms receiving prenatal diagnoses, as well as a ton more information about the opportunities available to people with Down syndrome today.  I wish these moms would each receive a copy of the book, Gifts, and read more about how life really looks "on the other side."  I wish I could give each and everyone of them my phone number and a long list of blogs to follow to see how awesome and rewarding this whole experience really is.

Taken from the article:


The first study evaluated surveys from 2,044 parents or guardians, representing an estimated response rate of 29 percent. Its findings:
  • 99 percent of parent/guardians said they loved their child with Down syndrome
  • 79 percent felt their outlook on life was more positive because of their child
  • 5 percent felt embarrassed by their child
  • 4 percent regretted having their child.

The second study evaluated responses to similar questions from 822 brothers and sisters age 9 and older (estimated response rate, 19 percent). Of the siblings age 12 and older:
  • 94 percent expressed feelings of pride about their sibling
  • 7 percent felt embarrassed by their sibling
  • 4 percent would "trade their sibling in" for another
  • 88 percent said they felt they were better people because of their sibling with Down syndrome

Of siblings aged 9-11:
  • 97 percent said they loved their sibling
  • 90 percent felt their friends are comfortable around their sibling

The third study evaluated survey responses from 284 people with Down syndrome (estimated response rate, 17 percent). The average age was 23, and 84 percent were living with one or both parents/guardians. The findings:
  • 99 percent said they were happy with their lives
  • 97 percent liked who they are
  • 96 percent liked how they look
  • 86 percent indicated they could make friends easily
  • 4 percent expressed sadness about their life. 
Would the rest of the general population in the United States be able to report the same feelings?  I think it's safe to say that people with Down syndrome make the world a better place, and they make us better people for knowing them. No, I'm not just wearing rose colored glasses.  These are the facts.

2 comments:

  1. A study to show what we could have told people all along ; ) Great to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Post!!! I cried reading the sibling part...So many people worry their child with Ds will be a burden to their siblings later on in life and reading how many saw them as a blessing that only added something special and gave them a better outlook on life...Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts- let me know I'm not just talking to myself! ;)

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews