Please don't be shy- sign up to be a follower or leave a comment from time to time. Love to know who is reading!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Do *some* belong in an institution?

I was chatting with a friend of mine about a video clip from the Today Show which was broadcasted a few years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kbayAdlgg

Yes, please stop what you're doing... don't read any further on this post until you watch that 5 minute video.

Now.

I apologize if you've seen it before- I think I have linked it in one of my previous posts.  No, wait.  I don't apologize.  We need to remember what is going on in other countries and not forget about these lost souls.

Did that video clip bother you?  No, I'm not sorry about that either.  It bothered me, too.  A lot.  This is the type of institution that the children I mention from Reece's Rainbow are transferred to if they aren't adopted by age 4-6.  It doesn't matter how "high functioning" they are- if they have that extra chromosome, they are sent.

So, back to my conversation with my friend.... he made a comment to me about some of the people from the video belonging in an institution (of course not with those delapidated conditions), and that comment did not sit well with me at all.  Yes, this person is still my friend ;) but this stirred something up inside me and I had to get it out.

That institution created 99% of those people's problems.  If each of them were given full tummies and loved on, they would not be in the condition they are in.  Instead, they are given barely enough to survive and very little if any attention.  If they try to climb out of bed they are restrained for hours on end.  How would any of us handle this type of treatment for any extended period of time?  How much do you think these individuals would improve if they were taken from those horrid conditions immediately and placed in a warm and loving environment?  Therapies?

How therapeutic is it for us to receive a hug from a friend or a loved one?  Most of those adults and children from the video will never know.  I say most because I know of one little girl, Katerina, who has a family working so hard to bring her home.  If you go back to the video, you will see Ann Curry introduce Katerina, age 9 with Down syndrome- very quickly.  Notice how small Katerina is for being 9 years old.  Nine years living in a place like that... many of them having lived there so much longer.  Breaks. My. Heart.

What goes through a child's mind when they are transferred to a place like this?  Can you imagine... leaving the orphanage to get into a van- not having this opportunity much besides a visit to the doctor perhaps... thinking they are on some exciting trip or maybe meeting that forever family they've been dreaming about for so long... only to be lead into the dark, drab, delapidated building full of loud cries and moans... placed in a cold metal crib to be forgotten.

Here today in the US, when a child is born with a disability, parents are not stripped of their newborn baby any longer.  We are not told our child belongs in an institution, that they will never walk, talk, or be able to function in society.  Instead, we are given a diagnosis, and lead to specialists and therapists who can help.  We are introduced to other parents and support groups, hearing positive and uplifting stories of acceptance and success in life.  If parents still feel too overwhelmed, they can place their child for adoption.  Institutionalization is NOT an option. So, why should it be an option there?  I welcome your comments.

5 comments:

  1. I suspect that the practice of institutionalization in these countries isn't rooted in cruelty, of course--it wasn't rooted in cruelty when we (NA) were doing it. I think that Eastern Europe in general lacks a lot of the resources for their citizens that North America possesses. They're not developing countries by any stretch of the imagination, but due to the unbelievable stress that the unrest and conflict that has riddled those countries for so long, they've been forced to focus on economic problems instead of human problems.

    Which doesn't make it okay, of course, to have people who could for all intents and purposes be absolutely functional members of society shut away and isolated strictly because of how they were born, but it's important to keep that perspective.

    What do I think should be done? I think that there needs to be a general shift in perspective on developmental disabilities and mental illness in Eastern European countries. Education for parents. Education for orphanages. Therapies, early intervention, etc in order to show the potential of people with developmental disabilities.

    But it will take time. It took North America almost a hundred years (if not longer) to come to a point where developmental disabilities were not seen as a death sentence, and we are still making progress every day!

    For the IMMEDIATE future, if I had any kind of say in it at all, I would say that the focus should be on improving institution conditions and/or making the shift from children being lumped in with adults (including the truly mentally ill) to separate institutions that are easier to adopt children out of.

    PS: do you mind if I take this for my blog? I will link back to you with it, but I thought it would be relevant to my records (since nobody reads my blog yet anyway!) if I added it since I will hopefully be adopting Veronica out of an institution.

    Sara (saradeedle) from BBC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, you are more than welcome to link me to your blog! :) And I do agree with your opinion. I know I was kind of typing from a dream world where we could instantly rescue everyone, but realistically, what you said would be a great start. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you said. Who wouldn't go crazy in a place like that? I'm glad that some attention has been brought to those situations. Unfortunately, they are easily dismissed, because they do not happen the US. Plus I think it is easier for people to dismiss it, because many still do not know what a person with Down syndrome is capable of. Hopefully, as we all speak out, and the world hears us, they will begin to understand and truly see all children are special and worthy of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heartbreaking.... I am so grateful to be raising Ellie here and now and not in another part of the world or 50 years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I applaud you (as I always do--you're awesome!) for bringing this "uncomfortable" or even (gasp)unpopular topic to light. I agree with Sara's point that immediate actions should be in place--with an effort toward a much better, brighter, healthier future. My other Early Achievement (KKI) parents/friends and I often chat about what would have happened to kiddos (our kiddos!) had we been raising them in the 40's/50's/other earlier generations and we are pretty certain that institutionalization (sp?) would have been recommended--at least for some of them. It sickens me to hear stories of children sent away to rot, when they could be loved on (love that line!) and nurtured and to reach their full potential as HUMAN BEINGS. Great blog Amy!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts- let me know I'm not just talking to myself! ;)

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews